Mercury at the dentist’s office

With little fanfare, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration earlier this week acknowledged on its Web site that mercury amalgam fillings -- the silvery material used for decades to plug cavities -- could be harmful.

With little fanfare, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration earlier this week acknowledged on its Web site that mercury amalgam fillings -- the silvery material used for decades to plug cavities -- could be harmful.

“Mercury is highly toxic to human beings.  In addition, having toxic metals in your body increases the activity and the damage done by free radicals…”

I missed part of the conversation on the radio the other day. A man who is part of the American Dental Association said that dentists are STILL using mercury for fillings, but that they don’t tell you it’s mercury, they tell you it’s silver. He even said that that phrase “silver” is encouraged and that dentists are discouraged to ever use the term mercury. He also said that mercury causes Alzheimer’s, and a host of other diseases, as well as can cause infertility. The dentist office itself, because it has mercury in the air is a toxic place, especially to pregnant women.

The radio host was shocked and kept asking why in the world were dentists still using mercury?  Apparently, the FDA thinks it’s safe.  “The FDA has, for decades, ridiculously insisted that mercury fillings pose no health threat whatsoever to children.” The guest explained that mercury fillings are faster because there’s less craftsmanship involved and it can mold much more quickly, etc.  Basically, a dentist can get far more patients in and out.  When asked if he thought Mercury could cause autism, his answer was yes.

“For years there has been debate in the dental profession regarding the pros and cons of using silver amalgam fillings, which contain about 50% mercury, to restore cavities.”

“A single dental amalgam filling with a surface area of only 1/2 square cm is estimated to release as much as 15 micrograms of mercury per day primarily through evaporation and mechanical wear.”

I explained my concern and what I had heard on the radio to a friend the other day.   She told me that her acupuncturist knew many Lupus patients who had their silver fillings taken out– only to show no improvement.

As I thought about it what my friend told me, I realized that if you don’t understand how drugs work with autoimmune diseases, then this acupuncturist simply isn’t putting two and two together.

Lupus, just like Rheumatoid Arthritis is medicated with corticosteroids and chemotherapy drugs, generally speaking.  This means that the body is being told not to react.  Both corticosteroids and chemotherapy drugs are immune suppressant drugs.  Even if an infection were to enter the body, a person who is on these drugs can and most likely will have trouble fighting off the infection because their body isn’t reacting to the infection in a normal, healthy way.  Instead, the drugs tell the body to basically shut off all reactions.  Even cuts are suppose to be reported to your doctor if you are on these drugs.  Cuts can turn into infections and infections can turn into serious complications which have in some cases, lead to death.   My suggestion to her was that, a Lupus patient wasn’t a good example of whether or not removing the fillings were helpful because of the drugs keep you from knowing what’s really going on.  If however, you took an autistic child that is being treated with diet only and not drugs, and changed out their fillings, then that might be a better example of how mercury fillings affect the body because they are so sensitive.

If you have a choice between a silver filling or a ceramic one, I think the choice is obvious regardless of the price.  “Amalgam is a blend of mercury, silver and other metals; when they bond together, the mercury is said to be rendered stable and unlikely to leach into your system. But lots of people beg to differ, saying the mercury not only is absorbed by the body but may cause neurological problems. Some believe mercury fillings trigger such disorders as multiple sclerosis, though research hasn’t borne that out.“”

Don’t trust the FDA with your medicine or that sippy cup!

Sippy Cups Banned

Sippy Cups, Baby Bottles and Sports Water Bottles Banned

“An FDA advisory panel has recommended the approval of Amgen’s immune-suppressing drug Enbrel (generic name etanercept) for the treatment of psoriasis in children, in spite of ongoing concerns that the drug may have lethal side effects.” It seems that even if a drug like Enbrel goes through extensive testing, it still gets approved, despite the many harmful possible side effects including Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a rare cancer and neurological diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis.

Children rely on adults to keep their food, toys and medicine safe.  Unfortunately, food may be ridden with chemicals, antibiotics and hormones, toys might contain led and medicine meant to help, might kill.  So if children rely on adults, adults rely on the FDA…..or do they?

Can we trust the FDA is going to keep our foods toxin free, drugs reliable and products safe? Even sippy cups don’t pass the buck. If you think your toddler is safe drinking from that sippy cup, think again.  The Associated Press on March 4th reported,

“Lawmakers in a Long Island county have voted to approve what would be the nation’s first ban on baby bottles and toddler sippy cups made with a chemical that some studies suggest may be harmful to infants. The ban on Bisphenol-A (BPA) was approved unanimously by the Suffolk County Legislature on Tuesday. It will take effect if County Executive Steve Levy signs it, but he has not indicated whether he will do so. The FDA had said last fall that BPA was safe, but after an independent report found deep flaws in its study the agency announced in December that it was planning more research.” -Consumer News Weekly.

If you’re a parent who has been keeping up with sippy cups being a problem with speech development, then perhaps you’re feeling relieved right now for following that hunch or advice to keep sippy cups out of your home. Speech therapists have been touting for some time now that sippy cups were causing speech impediments.

I think the reality is, just because something has FDA approval doesn’t mean it’s not going to harm you. Former President Bush reduced FDA funding for safety inspections back in 2005. I think it’s absolutely necessary to do the best you can in researching the drugs you take. You can’t research everything obviously, but staying informed, reading and learning as much as you can seems to be dependent on survival in this day in age. Life is short, don’t let the FDA make it shorter.

%d bloggers like this: